Join our Team
Monolith Materials, located in Lincoln, NE, is announcing its search for a talented and dedicated Associate Chemist.
Monolith invents, develops, and perfects process technologies that produce chemicals and materials that billions of people use every day. We’re builders. Innovators. Pragmatists. We believe that technology holds the solutions to climate change and that cleaner technology is better technology.
At Monolith we apply scientific principles, engineering practices and a lot of hard work to solve real problems that have a global impact. We use sophisticated analysis methods, advanced manufacturing techniques, and often even our hands to build first of its kind technologies. We do not compromise on safety, quality or performance.
Monolith is a next-generation, carbon black manufacturing company which uses a proprietary process to convert natural gas to carbon black in a cost competitive and environmentally advantaged manner. Monolith’s process also produces hydrogen tail-gas, a valuable co-product that can be sold into the power generation or industrial gas markets. Monolith is backed by Azimuth Capital Management, Cornell Capital and Warburg Pincus, three of the most widely respected private equity firms in North America.
Role Summary / Purpose:
The Associate Chemist will be a valuable team member working to achieve Monolith’s efforts to build a world leading analytical and applications research program. Monolith’s state-of-the-art, high crystallinity carbon black nanomaterials will offer new capabilities and opportunities to many of our OEM manufacturing partner companies from around the world.
The ideal applicant will have a strong chemistry and/or materials science background, enjoy learning new skills, and engage in a solid work ethic while collaborating with a top-notch team. Good temperament of prospective employees is considered critically important to Monolith as a key part in our development of a positive company culture. Specific knowledge of colloidal nanomaterials, rubber and plastic composites, or analytical techniques are not required for the motivated applicant to be considered, but such experience and/or knowledge will be an asset for applicants to this position. The interested candidate is expected have hands on experience that would be typical of an undergraduate degree in chemistry.
Monolith carbon black will find application in inks, tires, mascara, black plastic, anti-static plastic, and many other applications. The successful applicant will learn about how carbon black behaves and how to optimize performance in these applications as well as learn how to properly characterize carbon black. As such, the successful applicant will be operating the company’s analytical equipment in order to characterize carbon black made through Monolith’s proprietary process. Thus, organization of resulting data and continuous improvement of data collection techniques are required. Some of the analytical techniques employed by Monolith include: Surface area analysis via gas adsorption (BET), titration analysis of carbon black samples, organizing particle size histograms via SEM and TEM data, oil absorption number (OAN) analysis, surface energy measurement, and other techniques.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The Associate Chemist shall be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Arrange and categorize all experiments
- Perform applications analysis of inks, plastics, rubber, batteries, etc.
- Demonstrate a high level of safety awareness and conviction
- Continuously improve the analytical and application data collection and the organization of said data
- Actively participate in brainstorming and problem-solving as a team setting to identify solutions
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in chemistry, materials science, or related field required
- Organized: Ability to intelligently categorize information in a method that is intuitive to others
- Reliable: Consistent delivery on timelines
- Cogent: Efficiently explain research to the other members of the team
- Coachable: Willing to accept feedback and learn from experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Willingness and desire to learn
- Familiarity with statistical analysis metrics of analytical techniques or willingness to learn about these metrics
- Problem solver and self-motivated
- Demonstrated agility to adapt to change in a dynamic and evolving environment with grit, passion, and perseverance
- Low ego and highly motivated by team successes
Candidate demonstrating a high level of safety awareness and conviction cannot be emphasized enough. Thus, strict adherence and commitment to Monolith’s Safety, Heath, and Environment (SHE) philosophy and procedures is a must.
Travel and Residency:
Intermittent travel for training may be necessary, up to 10%. Nebraska residency within reasonable commuting distance to work locations in Lincoln is required.
All applicants should submit a current and complete resume in PDF format with their application for consideration.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.