Join our Team
Monolith, located in Lincoln, NE, is excited to announce its search for a Chemist.
Monolith invents, develops, and perfects process technologies that produce chemicals and materials that billions of people use every day. We’re builders. Innovators. Pragmatists. We believe that technology holds the solutions to climate change and that cleaner technology is better technology.
At Monolith we apply scientific principles, engineering practices and a lot of hard work to solve real problems that have a global impact. We use sophisticated analysis methods, advanced manufacturing techniques, and often even our hands to build first of its kind technologies. We do not compromise on safety, quality or performance.
Monolith is a next-generation, carbon black manufacturing company which uses a proprietary process to convert natural gas to carbon black in a cost competitive and environmentally advantaged manner. Monolith’s process also produces hydrogen tail-gas, a valuable co-product that can be sold into the power generation or industrial gas markets. Monolith is backed by Azimuth Capital Management and Warburg Pincus, two of the most widely respected private equity firms in North America.
Role Summary / Purpose:
The Chemist will be a valuable team member working to achieve Monolith’s efforts to build a world leading analytical and applications research program. Monolith’s state of the art carbon black nanoparticles offer new capabilities and opportunities to the OEM companies of the world. The ideal applicant will have a strong chemistry background, enjoy learning new skills working with a top notch team. Specific knowledge of nanoparticles or analytical techniques are not required for the motivated applicant to be considered for this position. The interested candidate should have hands on experience that would be typical of an graduate degree in chemistry.
The successful applicant will have analytical and specialty applications responsibilities. Monolith carbon black will find application in inks, tires, mascara, black plastic, anti-static plastic and many other applications. The successful applicant will learn about how carbon black behaves in these applications as well as learn how to characterize carbon black.
This position will be responsible for operating the company’s analytical equipment in order to characterize carbon black made through Monolith’s proprietary process. Organization of resulting data and continuous improvement of data collection techniques are required. Some of the state of the art analytical techniques include: Surface area analysis via gas adsorption (BET), titration analysis of carbon black samples, particle histogram via SEM and TEM, oil absorption number (OAN) analysis, surface energy measurement, XRD and other techniques.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The Chemist shall be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Arrange and categorize all experiments.
- Perform applications analysis; inks, plastics, rubber, batteries, etc.
- Demonstrate a high level of safety awareness and conviction.
- Continuously improve the analytical and application data collection and the organization of said data.
- Participate in brainstorming and problem solving in a team setting to identify solutions.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering or related field required.
- Ability to lead and motivate others toward a common goal.
- Organized: Ability to intelligently categorize information in a method that is intuitive to others
- Reliable: Consistent delivery on timelines
- Cogent: Efficiently explain research to the other members of the team
- Coachable: Willing to accept feedback and learn from experience
- Perform well under pressure
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Willingness and desire to learn
- Familiarity with statistical analysis metrics of analytical techniques or willingness to learn about these metrics
- Problem solver and self-motivated
- Demonstrated agility to adapt to change in a dynamic and evolving environment with grit, passion and perseverance.
- Low ego and thrives on the team’s success.
Candidate must also demonstrate a high level of safety awareness and conviction. Adherence and commitment to Monolith’s SHE philosophy and procedures is a must.
Travel and Residency:
Intermittent travel for training will be required, up to 10%. Lincoln/Omaha – Nebraska residency required.
All applicants should submit a current and complete resume in PDF format with their application for consideration.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.