Join our Team
Monolith, located in Lincoln, NE, is excited to announce its search for a Senior Analytical Chemist.
Monolith invents, develops, and perfects process technologies that produce chemicals and materials that billions of people use every day. We’re builders. Innovators. Pragmatists. We believe that technology holds the solutions to climate change and that cleaner technology is better technology.
At Monolith we apply scientific principles, engineering practices and a lot of hard work to solve real problems that have a global impact. We use sophisticated analysis methods, advanced manufacturing techniques, and often even our hands to build first of its kind technologies. We do not compromise on safety, quality or performance.
Monolith is a next-generation, carbon black manufacturing company which uses a proprietary process to convert natural gas to carbon black in a cost competitive and environmentally advantaged manner. Monolith’s process also produces hydrogen tail-gas, a valuable co-product that can be sold into the power generation or industrial gas markets. Monolith is backed by Azimuth Capital Management and Warburg Pincus, two of the most widely respected private equity firms in North America.
Role Summary / Purpose:
The Senior Analytical Chemist will be a team leader working to Monolith’s efforts to build a world leading analytical research program. Monolith’s state of the art carbon black nanoparticles offer new capabilities and opportunities to the OEM companies of the world. The applicant should have a strong chemistry background, strong enjoyment of learning new skills and enjoy to work on a top notch team. No specific knowledge of nanoparticles or analytical techniques are required for the motivated applicant to be considered for this position. The interested candidate should have hands on experience that would be typical of a graduate level chemistry degree.
The successful applicant will lead a team that operates the company’s analytical equipment in order to characterize carbon black made through Monolith’s proprietary process. Organization of resulting data and continuous improvement of data collection techniques are required. Some of the state of the art analytical techniques include: Surface area analysis via gas adsorption (BET), titration analysis of carbon black samples, particle histogram via SEM and TEM, XRD, oil absorption number (OAN) analysis, surface energy measurement, and other techniques. A robust knowledge set of these analytical techniques is not required for consideration for this position as much of these techniques can be taught to someone who has a strong chemistry background and an interest in learning new skills.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The Senior Analytical Chemist shall be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Arrange and categorize all experiments
- Demonstrate a high level of safety awareness and conviction.
- Continuously improve the analytical data collection and the organization of said data.
- Participate in brain-storming and problem solving in a team setting
- Lead analytical group in developing methodologies and models and processing work load
- Flex to support work flows in surface modification efforts as needed
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BS or PhD chemistry, materials science, chemical engineering or related field required
- Five years of professional experience leading or working in an analytical laboratory
- Experience managing and mentoring employees required preferred
- Ability to lead and motivate others toward a common goal
- Organized: Ability to intelligently categorize information in a method that is intuitive to others
- Reliable: Consistent delivery on timelines
- Cogent: Efficiently explain surface science to non-specialty members of the team
- Coachable: Willing to accept feedback and learn from experience
- Hands on: Perform analytical working in the laboratory 50% of the time
- Perform well under pressure
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong ability to concisely summarize results in a report format
- Willingness and desire to learn
- Familiarity with statistical analysis metrics of analytical techniques or willingness to learn about these metrics
- Problem solver and self-motivated
- Demonstrated agility to adapt to change in a dynamic and evolving environment with grit, passion and perseverance.
- Low ego and thrives on the team’s success.
Candidate must also demonstrate a high level of safety awareness and conviction. Adherence and commitment to Monolith’s SHE philosophy and procedures is a must.
Travel and Residency:
Intermittent travel for training will be required, up to 10%. Lincoln/Omaha – Nebraska residency required.
All applicants should submit a current and complete resume in PDF format with their application for consideration.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.