Join our Team
Monolith, located in Lincoln, NE, is excited to announce its search for a Senior Surface Scientist.
Monolith invents, develops, and perfects process technologies that produce chemicals and materials that billions of people use every day. We’re builders. Innovators. Pragmatists. We believe that technology holds the solutions to climate change and that cleaner technology is better technology.
At Monolith we apply scientific principles, engineering practices and a lot of hard work to solve real problems that have a global impact. We use sophisticated analysis methods, advanced manufacturing techniques, and often even our hands to build first of its kind technologies. We do not compromise on safety, quality or performance.
Monolith is a next-generation, carbon black manufacturing company which uses a proprietary process to convert natural gas to carbon black in a cost competitive and environmentally advantaged manner. Monolith’s process also produces hydrogen tail-gas, a valuable co-product that can be sold into the power generation or industrial gas markets. Monolith is backed by Azimuth Capital Management and Warburg Pincus, two of the most widely respected private equity firms in North America.
Role Summary / Purpose:
The Senior Surface Scientist will spearhead Monolith’s efforts to build a world leading surface chemistry program. Monolith’s state of the art carbon black nanoparticles offer new capabilities and opportunities to the OEM companies of the world. The candidate should have detailed experience of performing surface modification on nanoparticles. The interested candidate should have hands on experience working with and modifying the surface of nanoparticles in a laboratory setting. This role will report to the Vice President of Product Development and will manage a team in this area of expertise.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The Senior Surface Scientist shall be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Deep understanding of surface chemistry and surface energy of nanoparticles
- Participates and actively manages industrially applicable surface science of carbon black; including surface chemistry and energy aspects
- Arrange and categorize all surface chemistry experiments
- Continuously improves the surface chemistry data collection and the organization of said data.
- Manage and direct the surface modification effort and associated team
- Flex to provide assistance with Analytical efforts or work flow as needed
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BS, required. MS, or PhD chemistry, materials science, chemical engineering or related field preferred
- Five years industry experience working as surface scientist required
- Organized: Ability to intelligently categorize information in a method that is intuitive to others
- Reliable: Consistent delivery on timelines
- Cogent: Efficiently explain surface science to non-specialty members of the team
- Coachable: Willing to accept feedback and learn from experience
- Perform well under pressure
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong ability to concisely summarize results in a report format
- Willingness and desire to learn
- Familiarity with statistical analysis metrics of analytical techniques or willingness to learn about these metrics
- Problem solver and self-motivated
- Demonstrated agility to adapt to change in a dynamic and evolving environment with grit, passion and perseverance.
- Low ego and thrives on the team’s success.
Candidate must also demonstrate a high level of safety awareness and conviction. Adherence and commitment to Monolith’s SHE philosophy and procedures is a must.
Travel and Residency:
Intermittent travel for training will be required, up to 10%. Lincoln/Omaha – Nebraska residency required.
All applicants should submit a current and complete resume in PDF format with their application for consideration.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.