Join our Team
Monolith, located in Lincoln, NE, is excited to announce its search for a Mechanical Engineer.
Monolith is a carbon black manufacturing company which uses a proprietary process to convert natural gas to carbon black in an environmentally advantaged manner. We’re builders. Innovators. Pragmatists. We believe that technology holds the solutions to climate change and that cleaner technology is better technology.
At Monolith we apply scientific principles, engineering practices and a lot of hard work to solve real problems that have a global impact. We use sophisticated analysis methods, advanced manufacturing techniques, and often even our hands to build first of its kind technologies. We do not compromise on safety, quality or performance. If you want to solve tough problems, build real things, and have a big impact then you should join us.
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the design of Monolith Materials' reactor systems that are critical to reliable operation of our process. You will be the “eyes and ears” of the Core Technology team on the ground at our commercial scale plant and will be at the front lines to implement new designs in the field and solve operational issues.
- Develop the design of our Core Technology Reactor Systems that are critical to operation of our carbon black production process:
- High temperature gas mixing systems
- Water cooled parts subject to extreme temperatures
- Megawatt scale arc heating systems
- High temperature insulation systems
- Manage tasks with minimal oversight
- Engage with stakeholders in the design and conduct design reviews, FMEA and/or HAZOPs as appropriate
- Provide timely communication of any significant issues or developments
- Document designs and analysis in accordance with our Design Process
- Relay key operational or outage findings to the greater Core Tech team
- Produce detailed documentation and any supporting data
- Communicate findings and recommended course of action
- Guide designs to completion and oversee integration into our commercial scale plant
- Work with fabricators or suppliers to produce complex assemblies
- Coordinate with Operations on installation and training
- Commission and validate designs in the field
- Identify opportunities for increased reliability or cost reduction
- Perform other duties as needed
- Organized: Ability to intelligently categorize information in a method that is intuitive to others
- Reliable: Consistent delivery on timelines
- Cogent: Efficiently explain research to the other members of the team
- Coachable: Willing to accept feedback and learn from experience
- Resilient: Perform well under pressure with a low ego that thrives on the team's success
- Inquisitive: Willingness and desire to learn
- Creative: Problem solver who challenges previous assumptions and methods to continuously improve and solve challenges; relentlessly pursues a better solution
- Adaptable: Demonstrated ability to adapt and change in a dynamic and evolving environment with grit, passion and perseverance
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field
- Minimum 2 years of work experience, or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the job duties and responsibilities
- Strong understanding of heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics
- 3D CAD experience and 2D drawing detailing, Solidworks preferred
- Proficient in static stress FEA analysis
- Strong hands-on skills with a willingness to troubleshoot equipment and "get dirty"
- Have personally built, tested, and modified your own designs
- Experience with experimental design and instrumentation
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines
Candidate must also demonstrate a high level of safety awareness and conviction. Adherence and commitment to Monolith’s SHE philosophy and procedures is a must.
Work will be performed within an operating plant environment; 75% climate controlled indoor environment, 25% field.
Up to 25% travel to California office