R&D Process Engineer, Tech Transfer
The R&D Process Engineer, Tech Transfer is responsible for the development and validation of the reactor recipe-specific design basis for use in the scaleup of Monolith’s Carbon Black Manufacturing Process. You will help guide validation efforts and analyze results from a first-of-its-kind manufacturing facility (Olive Creek 1, or OC1) to help drive design decisions for the 11x increase required at Olive Creek 2 (OC2). You will work on all stages of the process, from research and development to design and manufacture, through to installation and final commissioning. This position is part of the Core Technology Team within Monolith and will support the final transition of new technology into construction of new plants and commercial production.
- Lead efforts to transition new technology from Monolith’s R&D department into existing facilities (via CapEx projects or process optimization) and future plants to improve economics, reliability, and product space
- Assume responsibility of the Monolith Reactor Process Design Basis
- Provide review of documentation, fill in gaps to correct inconsistencies, and monitor the design basis going forward for both internal parties and the Engineering/Procurement/Construction (EPC) firm
- Within the design basis, document operational assumptions and reactor recipe of single reactor operation at OC1 for scaleup at OC2 to ensure efficient operation within desired operating space
- Understand IP-sensitive process variables and product quality levers and their impact to recipe development and system design
- Understand and communicate physical variables (temperature, flowrate, conversion, yield, recovery, etc) to EPC and resulting impacts to COGS and CapEx requirements
- Identify critical process variables and key economic metrics coupled with required control ranges to maintain quality, optimize recovery, etc
- Complete data analysis
- Analyze OC1 Operation and evaluate impacts related to validation of OC2 Reactor Design Basis.
- Clean, massage, and organize data from multiple sources
- Perform descriptive statistics and analysis to develop insights
- Author reports and presentations summarizing findings
- Support Process Development and Plant Operations
- Provide technical guidance and input for SOPs, procedures, etc. related to new technology
- Participate in commissioning and startup activities
- Participate in Design Review, HAZOPS, etc.
- Identify process-related concerns and communicate needs/priorities to operations and management
- Utilize process simulations to enhance design validation, troubleshooting, and otherwise understand plant operations
- Coordinate internal review with CoreTech sub-owners for key inputs and ensure outputs align with CoreTech expectations. Review and approve any change requests. Participate in project stage gate reviews to ensure design satisfies project requirements.
- Coordinate with manufacturing, R&D, the OC2 Project Team and other parts of the company
- Strong understanding of heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics.
- Clear grasp of chemical reaction kinetics and equilibrium and impact to reactor design and recipe
- Strong understanding of P&ID diagrams, instrumentation and process design
- Ability to run process simulations in programs such as Aspen Plus or equivalent
- Range of skills necessary to push idea from concept to project definition to final design
- Strong oral and written communication.
- Strong working knowledge of statistics, modelling, and process control
- Organized: Ability to intelligently categorize information in a method that is intuitive to others
- Reliable: Consistent delivery on timelines
- Cogent: Efficiently explain research to the other members of the team
- Coachable: Willing to accept feedback and learn from experience
- Resilient: Perform well under pressure with a low ego that thrives on the team's success
- Creative: Problem solver who challenges previous assumptions and methods to continuously improve and solve challenges; relentlessly pursues a better solution
- Adaptable: Demonstrated ability to adapt and change in a dynamic and evolving environment with grit, passion and perseverance
Candidate must also demonstrate a high level of safety awareness and conviction. Adherence and commitment to Monolith’s SHE philosophy and procedures is a must.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering from an accredited university
- Four years of experience in commercial plant design or operations
- Experience at an industrial manufacturing facility or EPC firm
- Experience performing technical transfer and design validation to support industrial process development
- Understanding of plant operations (chemical processing, oil & gas, or solids handling experience preferred)
- Demonstrated expertise with modeling chemical process (e.g. Aspen Plus, COFE)
Your Work Environment and Travel Expectations
Most work will be performed within an office environment at the San Carlos, CA office. Travel to the existing OC1 Plant and future OC2 site in Nebraska will be required 25% of the time.