Process Engineering Manager
At Monolith, we apply scientific principles, engineering practices and a lot of hard work to solve real problems that have a global impact. We use sophisticated analysis methods, advanced manufacturing techniques, and often even our hands to build first of its kind technologies. We do not compromise on safety, quality or performance. If you want to solve tough problems, build real things, and have a big impact then you should join us.
Monolith is pushing the envelope in clean carbon black production technology, changing the feedstock and dramatically reducing the environmental footprint of the process with a fundamental shift in how we think about the process. As our Process Engineering Manager, you will be a key leader in coordinating, mentoring, and directing the Hallam technology team in developing our process capabilities to take this disruptive technology and scale it up to commercial scale. We are looking for a talented, hard-working, proactive engineering leader who is bright and, among other things, enjoys developing creative solutions to complex problems in a collaborative environment.
Collaborate with key stakeholders in driving to achieve business goals
- Work closely with core technology and product applications teams to coordinate with the operations team technology validation and commercialization.
- Assure Process Safety is well managed using MOC, PHA, and project controls.
- Participate and lead execution planning and strategy meetings to progress the transfer of technology from the defined learnings in Monolith to systems that are demonstrated through the Hallam operations team.
- Manage process and production engineers while providing key mentorship for all technical team members in practical efforts around carbon black manufacturing and technology.
- Facilitate cross department collaboration with other teams so that operational objectives or improvement projects are identified and prioritized appropriately and executed successfully. Provide timely communications on significant issues or developments
- Drive to expand our product capabilities and quality. Build our technological base by leveraging your team and the Monolith R&D teams to continuously improve.
- Lead processes to conduct trials, organize and interpret data, and institutionalize learnings.
- Document technology learnings and assure effective transfer of new technology throughout the organization.
- Lead our efforts to analyze and interpret data to identify opportunities for improvement projects, process changes, and new technologies that help achieve increased productivity, reduced product loses, improved product quality, and improved SHE performance.
- Support our efforts to actively seek out best manufacturing practices through benchmarking and engaging technology experts.
- Provide daily Operations support with team of operations engineers and engage as a technical advisor in solving general plant challenges including troubleshooting equipment and process problems encountered during production and participating in root cause analysis.
- Prioritize and assign process engineering and improvement projects to the team and manage for effectiveness of project planning, execution, and completion on budget, on time.
A bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering or related STEM field and 5 years of work experience minimum. (carbon black or equivalent particle processes experience highly preferred)
Experience in the following areas:
- A proven record as a Technology or Process Leader in the Carbon black or other particle or chemical industry.
- Strong leadership, organizational, team building and coaching skills, and cross-functional organizational effectiveness.
- Solid experience and understating of the engineering principles and design considerations for chemical processes including - tanks, pumps, valves, motors, VFDs, heat exchangers, high temperature materials, boilers, instrumentation, and control systems
- Proven problem-solving skills; understanding of and experience with root cause analysis techniques.
- A high level of Safety awareness and conviction. Adherence and commitment to Monolith’s SHE philosophy and procedures is a must.
Other skills and knowledge:
- Computer skills including the ability to prepare spreadsheets and use Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Power Point, Project) to analyze data and trends to report results.
- PI process book experience (preferred)
- Ability to multitask in fast paced environment with competing deadlines
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Work Environment and Travel Expectations:
This position is based in Hallam Nebraska OC-1 plant and will require occasional travel to other Monolith sites.