Monolith, located in Lincoln, NE, is excited to announce its search for a Reactor Kinetics Intern.
At Monolith we apply scientific principles, engineering practices and a lot of hard work to solve real problems that have a global impact. We use sophisticated analysis methods, advanced manufacturing techniques, and often even our hands to build first of its kind technologies. We do not compromise on safety, quality, or performance. If you want to solve tough problems, build real things, and have a big impact then you should join us.
The R&D Engineer is responsible for assisting testing, analysis, and modeling efforts across the company to improve Monolith’s carbon black and hydrogen manufacturing technology.
- Generate reactor-kinetics based models of specific process phenomena that increase understanding and guide modification of operating conditions or design as well as for scale up of new technologies
- Apply knowledge of reactor kinetics, statistics, and machine learning techniques to transform plant data into empirical models to predict plant performance
- Continuously validate and update models to new data.
- Assist Testing efforts at R&D and Commercial Facilities
- Carry out various R&D testing workflow activities with superb execution, analysis, and documentation
- Utilize empirical models and Design of Experiments to help create robust test plans
- Gather feedback from diverse team, iterate on plans to obtain stakeholder approval and meeting test objectives
- Respond to unforeseen circumstances during testing and ensure success of test objectives
- Complete data analysis
- Clean, massage, and organize data from multiple sources
- Perform descriptive statistics and analysis to develop insights
- Communicate results to diverse team of engineers, operators and executives
- Support process development and plant operations
- Participate in Design Review, HAZOPS, etc.
- Identify process-related concerns and communicate needs/priorities to operations and management
- Use of process simulations to enhance troubleshooting, plant start-up and shut-down and safe plant operations
- Support transition of new technologies from lab to commercial production
- Coordinate technical projects and communicate findings with applications, operations, and core technology groups located across United States
- Perform other duties as needed
- Organized: Ability to intelligently categorize information in a method that is intuitive to others
- Reliable: Consistent delivery on timelines
- Cogent: Efficiently explain research to the other members of the team
- Coachable: Willing to accept feedback and learn from experience
- Resilient: Perform well under pressure with a low ego that thrives on the team's success
- Inquisitive: Willingness and desire to learn
- Creative: Problem solver who challenges previous assumptions and methods to continuously improve and solve challenges; relentlessly pursues a better solution
- Adaptable: Demonstrated ability to adapt and change in a dynamic and evolving environment with grit, passion and perseverance
Committed to our values
- Safety matters most
- Solve the impossible, embrace reality
- People make the difference
- Think like a team
- Decisions drive results
- Generosity of spirit
- Enjoy the ride
Candidate must also demonstrate a high level of safety awareness and conviction. Adherence and commitment to Monolith’s SHE philosophy and procedures is a must.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in Chemical, Mechanical, or similar discipline, or equivalent time spent gaining an advanced degree.
- 2+ years experience performing test planning to support industrial process development
- Demonstrated proficiency with thermodynamics/kinetics modeling packages (e.g. Cantera, Chemkin)
- Hands-on experience with lab or pilot scale experimental apparatus
- Demonstrated expertise with modeling chemical process (e.g. Aspen Plus, COFE)